For a prefect job, it is important that the surgery is done by a professional surgeon. Rhinoplasty takes an hour or two, which has to be followed by a day or rest. Rhinoplasty is carried out in five steps:
1. First, you will be put under intravenous sedation or general anesthesia for your comfort during the procedure. The choice of anesthesia will be decided by your surgeon.
2. Rhinoplasty is carried out either as a closed procedure where incisions are hidden in the nose or as an open procedure where incisions are made across the columenella, which is the tissue that separates the nostrils.
3. It is through these incisions that the tissue covering the nose is raised to change the nose structure. Sometimes in rare cases, a piece of ear cartilage may be used. In even rarer cases, a section of the rib cartilage may also be used.
4. If rhinoplasty is performed to correct a deviated septum, this is when it is done. Once the deviated septum is straightened, the projections in the nose are reduced. This in turn helps to improve breathing.
5. Once the desired nose shape is reached, nasal skin and tissue is re-draped and all incisions closed. The surgeon may use splints and internal tubes to support the nose till it heals, which may span a week.
The initial swelling of rhinoplasty subsides in a few weeks’ time. However it takes a year for the complete refinement of the new nasal contour. Be ready for repeated increase and decrease in swelling for a year, which tends to worsen in the morning.
During the recovery period of rhinoplasty, make sure you follow the specific instructions of your surgeon on caring for your nose like oral medication and medication for application for a speedy and better recovery.